Your privacy matters to us. And we are committed to protecting any personal information you give us. This document, which we update from time to time, describes what we do with your personal information. It also tells you how to contact us if you have any questions about it.
At Rentalcars.com, we offer online car rental and ancillary products through our own websites and mobile apps and through other online “platforms” such as partners’ websites. This policy applies to all these platforms.
What kind of personal information does Rentalcars.com use?
When you book a car or request a quote, we ask you for the information we need to give you what you want. This may include the main driver’s name, age, contact details (email, address and telephone number), date and place of birth, passport information, driving licence information and payment information.
To make things easier, you can open a user account. This lets you save your personal settings, and review and manage your bookings.
When you visit our websites, we may collect certain information, even if you don’t book a car. This may include your IP address and which browser you’re using, as well as information about your computer’s operating system, application version, language settings and pages visited. If you’re using a mobile device, we might also collect data that identifies your device, device-specific settings and characteristics, and latitude/longitude. We might also calculate and process data related to the apps installed on your mobile device (e.g. name, description and category). None of this information by itself will be able to tell us who you are, but it can still be considered ‘personal’ information.
We may also receive information about you when you use certain social media services.
Why does Rentalcars.com collect, use and share your personal information?
- Bookings: First and foremost, we use your personal information to complete and administer your car booking, and to forward the necessary details to the car supplier. We may also use it to complete and administer the bookings of any ancillary products (such as insurance), and to forward the necessary details to the relevant supplier.
- Customer service: We provide international customer service 24/7 in over 40 languages. Sharing your details with our customer service staff allows us to help you when you need it: for example, helping you find a car, or responding to your queries.
- Customer reviews: We may use your contact information to send you a short questionnaire about your rental. This helps us understand and improve our service and the service our partners provide.
- Marketing activities: We also use your personal information for marketing activities, as permitted by law. For example:
- We may use it to contact you by post, telephone, email or SMS with information on our latest news, offers and updates, including details of our (or our group companies’ or affiliated partners’) goods and services, special offers, discounts or promotions, new products or services, and forthcoming events or competitions. You consent to this when you click “Book Now” on the booking form, unless you opt out by ticking the relevant box (you can also opt out at any time by clicking “unsubscribe” in the email or texting STOP to the short code in the SMS).
- We may use it to contact you by telephone, email and/or SMS, with information about excess cover products that you didn’t include in your car booking. Again, you consent to this when you click “Book Now” on the booking form, unless you opt out by ticking the relevant box.
- Based on the information you share with us, you may see individualised offers on our websites, in mobile apps or on third-party websites, including social media sites.
- Other communications: There may be other times when we contact you by email, phone or SMS, depending on the contact information you share with us. There could be a number of reasons for this:
- We may need to respond to and handle your requests.
- If you have not finalised a booking online, we may email you a reminder to do so. We see this as a useful service because it lets you carry on with a booking without having to find the car again or fill in all the booking details from scratch.
- When you use our services, we may send you a questionnaire or ask you to review your experience with us.
- We may send you other material related to your booking, such as information on contacting Rentalcars.com or your car supplier if you need help – or a summary of your previous bookings.
- Market research: We sometimes ask our customers to take part in market research. Any additional personal details that you give us as part of this research will be used only with your consent.
- Fraud detection and prevention: We may use personal information to detect and prevent fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities.
- Improving our services: Finally, we use personal information for analytical purposes, to improve our services, to enhance the user experience, and to improve the functionality and quality of our online travel services.
How does Rentalcars.com share your information with third parties?
In certain situations, we may share your personal information with third parties.
- The company/companies supplying your car and/or ancillary products: To complete your booking, we need to send the relevant booking details to the company/companies supplying the car and/or the ancillary products you have booked. For example: your name, age, contact details (email, address and telephone number), date and place of birth, passport information, driving licence information, payment information and any preferences you specified when booking.
- Other companies within the Rentalcars.com corporate family: To support you while you’re booking your car and throughout your rental, we may share your details with other members of the Rentalcars.com corporate family (please see About Rentalcars.com). Your information may also be shared with our parent company The Priceline Group, and our sister companies (e.g. Agoda.com, Booking.com, priceline.com, KAYAK, and OpenTable) and analysed to offer you a customised service, and to send you travel-related offers that may interest you.
- Third-party service suppliers: We may use third-party service suppliers to process your personal information on our behalf for the purposes described above. For example, we may use them to contact you, or to send booking information on our behalf to the company supplying your car, or to manage aspects of our website, call centres or marketing activities. When a booking requires it, we may also work with third-party payment service suppliers to facilitate payment or payment guarantees. We also work with third-party advertisement networks to market services on other platforms, and involve third-party suppliers for analytical purposes. All these third parties will be bound by confidentiality agreements and will not be allowed to use your personal information for any purposes other than those described above.
- Our business partners: We work with partner websites around the world to distribute the cars on our websites and mobile apps. When you book on one of their websites, they may share some of your personal information with us. Similarly, we may share information with them: for example, for marketing purposes, or so they can manage your booking or address any queries related to it. In this context, your information is governed by the privacy policies of these business partners.
- Competent authorities: We may share your personal information with government or investigative authorities if required by law (or any regulation having the force of law). Such requirements include court orders, subpoenas and orders arising from legal processes and criminal investigations. We may also disclose your personal data if it is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts.
How does Rentalcars.com make use of mobile devices?
We have free apps for a variety of mobile devices. These apps collect and process your personal details in much the same way as our websites do – and they also allow you to use location services to find local rental car services.
What security procedures does Rentalcars.com put in place to safeguard your personal information?
In accordance with UK and European data protection laws, we observe reasonable procedures to prevent unauthorised access to and misuse of personal information.
We use appropriate business systems and procedures to protect your personal information. We also use security procedures and technical and physical restrictions on accessing and using the personal information on our servers. Only authorised personnel are permitted to access personal information in the course of their work.
How can you control marketing emails?
When you book a car or request a quote, we explain how to opt out of marketing and sales emails. You can also opt out at any time by clicking “unsubscribe” in any of these emails.
How can you control the personal information you have given to Rentalcars.com?
You can request a copy of the information we have about you by emailing email@example.com (stating 'Subject Access Request' in the subject line) or writing to Sunlight House, Quay Street, Manchester, M3 3JZ, United Kingdom. To keep your information safe, we may ask for further information to confirm your identity. If you spot any mistakes in your information, please tell us (email or write to the same addresses) so we can correct them.